Karen Best Wright, B.S. Community Health Education
Mepilex® Border Dressing is a soft absorbent silicone foam dressing that effectively absorbs exudate (oozing fluid) and maintains a moist wound environment. Maintaining a moist wound environment is important for proper wound care and healing.
The Safetac layer seals the wound edges and prevents the exudate from leaking onto the surrounding skin. This minimizes the risk of maceration (break down of tissue). Because the Safetac layer does not stick to the wound, the dressing can be adjusted or changed without damaging the wound or surrounding skin. This minimizes pain and trauma at dressing changes. This is particularly beneficial for children and elderly adults with tender skin.
At Risk Skin
Proper skin care and wound care is important to prevent infection and promote healing.
- Premature infants and elderly adults are at risk for skin tears and poor wound healing.
- Dry and aged skin is vulnerable to skin tears and wounds.
- Poor nutrition contributes to poor wound healing,
- As well as poor circulation due to diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Four Principles of Wound Care
- First principle is proper cleansing of the wound, removal of nonviable tissue referred to as debridement.
- Second principle is to maintain a moist environment.
- Third principle is to prevent further injury to the wound, e.g. protect pressure wounds by properly moving the body and adjusting the position of the body.
- Fourth principle is to provide nutrition, specifically protein to promote healing.
Benefits of Mepilex ® Border Dressing
- Mepilex® Border Dressing is self-adherent; no secondary fixation is needed. There is no need to tape the dressing to the skin. Tape can cause unnecessary skin irritation in some people.
- Mepilex® Border Dressing is shower proof and can remain in place for up to 7 days, depending on wound condition.
- Because of the Safetac layer, the dressing can be lifted and adjusted without losing its adherent properties.
Areas of use
Mepilex® Border is designed for a wide range of exuding wounds such as leg and foot ulcers, pressure ulcers, surgical wounds, and traumatic wounds, e.g. skin tears and secondary healing wounds.
Mepilex® Border Dressing is available in various sizes, ranging from 3 in x 3in to 6 in x 8 in and multiple sizes to specifically fit the sacral area.
Check out our collection for more wound care products.